Archive for the ‘human worth’ Category
Why is it that good kids get prison for pot, but wicked presidents go free after ordering torture?
Why is it that “just following orders” was no excuse at Nuremberg, but the Obama justice department finds it adequate for military abusers in the USA?
As the Michael Vick case demonstrates, we don’t allow most Americans to practice this level of cruelty against dogs. What reason is there for excusing it against fellow human beings?
Is it because they are Muslims that torturing them has no penalty? Is it because they are not white? Is it because they are not US citizens? Is a Muslim life worth less than a Christian or a Jewish or an atheist life? Is a Pakistani or a Uighur less than a dog under American law?
Is it because we don’t really expect presidents to respect the Constitution they swear to defend? But what good is constitutional government if the privileged are not equally restrained by it?
This ruin of innocent lives will never be addressed unless Americans demand it. It can be demanded by following the “take action” link, where there is a simple way to email Senators and Representatives.
No life can be trashed at will by lawless government. Write. Write until the least influential have equal justice with privileged politicians.
Related articles by Zemanta
- The Question Of Immunity (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- In The Wake Of War Crimes (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- Rights groups rip CIA immunity on interrogations (cnn.com)
- In The Wake Of War Crimes III (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- Obama’s Prisoner Dilemma: Reject Torture, Defend Torturers (wired.com)
- Spain To Consider Torture-Related Charges Against Bush Administration Officials (crooksandliars.com)
- Interrogation Memos Detail Harsh Tactics by the C.I.A. (nytimes.com)
- OLC Memos: Inflamatory Assumptions? Rizzo Lied to Cover for CIA Abuse (emptywheel.firedoglake.com)
- Commentary: Torture weakened America’s national security (cnn.com)