UN Rapporteur: Not prosecuting torturers is illegal
From an interview with the Austrian newspaper Der Standard:
If we hope to bring the USA into a relationship with other nations based on mutual respect of international law, how can we flaunt it ourselves? If we hope to see a world without torture, how can we sweep our own sins under the rug?
Time to face the music, Mr. President. Pursuing good vibrations internally does not justify the excusing of criminal acts or further flaunting of international and American law.
Related articles by Zemanta
- You: CIA torture exemption ‘illegal’ (via Original Signal – Transmitting News) (news.bbc.co.uk)
- Rahm Emanuel: President Obama Opposes Prosecution of Bush, Cheney, Bybee, Yoo And Others Responsible For Torture (oxdown.firedoglake.com)
- Will We Pass Our Nuremberg Trial, or Will We Protect Our Little Eichmanns? (firedoglake.com)
- George W Bush ‘should be prosecuted for torture’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Letter to President Obama on UN Convention Against Torture (nader.org)
- Can Obama Ignore Torture? (mydd.com)
- The Reason For Gitmo And The Black Sites (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)