The world mapped by population
Check out this astonishing graph from GeoHive:
Size of countries based on population
note: this graph only shows countries with a population over 5 million on July 1, 2002 (est.).
The color indicates the size:
Orange means a country >100 million
Blue means a country between 50 and 100 million
Green a country between 40 and 50 million
Yellow a country between 30 and 40 million
Lavender a country between 20 and 30 million
Pink a country between 10 and 20 million
Grey a country between 5 and 10 million.
note: two-letter code refer to ISO codes of countries.
Things that surprise me:
- Russia is about the size of Pakistan.
- Sweden and Finland and Denmark are in the range of Haiti and the Dominican Republic.
- No African nation compares with Nigeria.
- Brazil towers over S. America.
- Japan is in the neighborhood of Mexico and Russia and Pakistan and Bangladesh.
- Mexico is much larger than Canada.
- The world is mostly Asian.
- South Africa doesn’t appear.
What do you see?
Tags: geography, population, world+map, world+population, Monte Asbury